Another post based on a Seth Godin post -- if only because once again an idea he posted about is incredibly relevant to the animal welfare movement, BSL and our efforts to become no kill.
His post is entitled "Who is easily manipulated?" From Godin:
"The easiest people to manipulate are those that don't demand a lot of information, are open to messages from auth0rity figures and are willint to make decisions on a hunch, particularly if there's a promise to short-term gains."
That sounds fair enough. Interestingly, the media plays to this group perfectly by providing sound-bites of information and as a media outlet, serves as an authority figure. So this helps explain why fear-mongering sound-bites from the media can be highly persuasive to a large number of highly-manipulated people.
Then Godin provides 14 categories of behaviors that manipulators seek out. For brevity, here are a couple I think are most relevant:
* Believing something because you heard someone say it on a news show or cable tv.
* Repeating a mantra heard from a figurehead or leader of a tribe without considering whether it's true.
* Ingoring the scientific method and embracing unexamined traditional methods instead.
* Inability to tolerate fear and uncertainty.
* Reliance on repetition and frequency to decide what's true.
* Desire to stick with previously made decisions because cognitive dissonence is strong.
Do you believe that pit bulls are inherantly vicious because of seeing media accounts that say so - even though all of the nationally respected groups of experts say this isn't true?
Do you still believe that shelters are killing animals because of 'pet overpopulation' or because of the 'irresponsible public" even though the numbers indicate that this isn't so?
Do you still believe that no kill isn't possible even though numerous case studies show that it is?
Do you still believe that mandatory spay/neuter will work to end shelter killing, even though countless case studies show it doesn't -- and in fact, has a negative affect?
Don't be easily manipulated. Question everything. Seek out more information. We can have a no kill nation, and one in which bully-type dogs are not descriminated against. The old way of thinking has been proven wrong, and it is time to move forward based on the evidence that is out there.